Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Discount Tent

Good morning. It is mornings such as these that inspire. Inspire to what, I am not sure. But something about rising in the darkness, heading to downtown in the fog, walking through the grey, something about learning to live again without the summer that inspires each of us in a different way, but inspires nonetheless.

Yesterday, I purchased two new books at the downtown Borders that I am excited to read. London's The Call of the Wild and Shackleton's South. Unfortunately, before opening either of them, I have to finish Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. The book has been enjoyable to say the least. But now he has reached the biology section, the birth of life on our planet 4 million years ago. It is interesting, but quite dry. He was able to find humor in quantum physics and extinction level earthquakes, but is wholly incapable of bringing his wit into the submit of single celled organisms forming at the dawn of time. I still have to wade through another 200 pages or so, I hoping it picks up a little. For I want nothing more than to join Shackleton's crew and head south.

Last night, I caught the fourth episode of NBC's 'Heroes'. This after watching season three of Northern Exposure and season one of Twin Peaks over the weekend. Two fifteen year old shows versus a brand new one. Not really a fair comparison, so I will not attempt it here. But let me say this: just as we would not exist without the DNA created in the anaerobic (or non-using oxygen) world; slick, cool, fun shows with a ethical twist would not exist would Lynch's Twin Peaks. Revisit them. Please. The 'fish out of water on steroids' character of Special Agent Cooper is one of the most influential characters in television history.

There, I said it.

Also, last night, I drank one and a half glasses of 'Herding Cats' Cabernet. It was terrible. I dumped the remnants into the sink. Tasted like grey poupon and grape jelly. Avoid.

Despite the first paragraph, I am feeling rather uninspired all of a sudden. Only took two paragraphs to get there, too. Not a good sign for things to come.

My boss just got in this morning. She was attending the mother-daughter mass at her daughter's school. Reminds me of Friday morning masses at St Francis de Sales - my school from 1st through 3rd grade. Not much else to say about that. But those masses stick with me, more than the those of the Sunday variety that I twiddled my thumbs through every week for the first 14 years of my life. Not sure why.

I have feeling the blah attitude I am feeling right now has something to do with choosing the office coffee over Starbucks or Caribou. Life is too damn short to drink shitty coffee. Too damn short indeed.

And there's my wisdom for the day.